A lot has happened since our first Tea in the garden, with our little trees poking out of a wilderness of gravel and mulch.
- You’ve SEEN the growth if you’ve toured around the 4+ acres of vegetables, shrubs, vines and trees we have growing on the property – – – you may even have seen how our mulberry trees drop their fruit like careless jewels for all to enjoy.
- You’ve HEARD it through the stories of Vanessa, and Mari Carl and the excitement that growing both people and plants brings to us all
- Now you’re FEELING it here in the meadow, through the talents of these amazing table hostesses, musicians and volunteers who have made this place seem like a sun dappled corner of heaven on earth
- Take a moment– look around– this is Transcendent, this is beautiful, – – – – this the mystery of 150 of us sitting right next to one of the busiest freeways in the United States—and loving it!!!
- It’s a story of Community, a team of volunteers working together around the common goal of Giving
- and bringing about transformation and restoration,
- and it is something that happens not just at Tea in the Garden but many times every month here
It reminds me of the words from the Hebrew prophet Isaiah from whose writing we got the Name “The Fruitful Field”
It goes like this:
Isaiah 32: 15-18
15 Until the Spirit is poured upon us from on high,
And the wilderness becomes a fruitful field,
And the fruitful field is counted as a forest.
16 Then justice will dwell in the wilderness,
And righteousness remain in the fruitful field.
17 The work of righteousness will be peace,
And the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever.
18 My people will dwell in a peaceful habitation,
In secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places,
Beautiful story progression isn’t it?
So– You, me, us , we are all part of this story, so pretty and bright ( and guys, guys at an afternoon tea party?…. and they’re loving it?!? how great is that)
It’s the story of people and the kaleidoscope of sparkling tables and smiles on this February Garden Evening.
It’s the story of us planting, seeding, weeding, gathering, decorating, mulching, cleaning, sweating, eating, giving, growing, it’s about BEING, being here at The Fruitful Field
As you sip your last bit of Tea I’d challenge you to think of your additional Part in this Garden Story
You can help keep the garden growing,
Making sure there are more Garden stories to tell next year, by investing your time and ideas and financial resources. Take a look at the projects listed in your program.—-
Through we represent different social groups, together we hold the core values that are happening around this garden:
- Peaceful community
As you leave tonight consider doing your part in growing this as a place for:
- Gorgeous Garden Greens
- Place for Kids run through sprinklers in the shadow of tall pines.
- Place for Peaceful Community in a neighborhood that desperately needs it
We always need new volunteers, of course, so join us on the 3rd Saturday of the month for our Volunteer days.
If you choose to give financially, your Hostess has envelopes for Cash or Check donations. Drop them off at our donation tables as you go.
You can also make a credit card donation at those same tables.
We have all kinds of Fruitful Field Gear to take with you,—so be sure to pick up a new T-shirt. If you’ve bid on a centerpiece, be sure to go and check to see if you have the winning bid. (Mari Carl and Beth will be there to help you.)
Remember Tonight THIS is our story —
Feel free to continue your part of the story tonight—- taking a tour, strolling the paths, getting ideas for a home garden, chatting with others, making a donation, and enjoying the evening!
Thank you and go in Peace from this place that is both Field and Forest and a little glimmer of what it’s all about.