Youth Education Specialist: Urban Farm
“At The Fruitful Field we grow people; in the process a lot of vegetables and fruit are produced.”
TFF seeks a part-time Educational Specialist for our “GrowCity Farm and Table” youth program. In its second year, GrowCity youth program at TFF provides a real-life paid work opportunity (after-school) on our non-profit organic urban farm as well as tangible development of soft skills to ten youth (ages 14-17) primarily from impoverished local neighborhoods. Through GrowCity, youth have improved future employability potential and entrepreneurship skills. With work-based learning experiences and real tasks, as well as linkages to a wide variety of community members and professionals, youth improve their sense of responsibility, work skills, and soft skills, providing them with a strong foundation for a career in any field.
For the GrowCity Youth Education Specialist position, TFF seeks a responsible and organized person who loves working with teens and getting their hands dirty at the same time.
The Education Specialist will be responsible for:
- Setup and logistics for Daily Lessons
- Assisting with on-site Program delivery & implementation
- Everyday Record Keeping such as logging hours, quizzes, public speaking progress, etc
- Assisting with Special Events such as: Cub Scout days, Plant sales, Instructional fair at Bright Horizons special needs school, Open House, etc.
The ideal candidate will have these qualifications:
- Experience working with 14-16 year old youth.
- Interest in Organic Gardening/Urban Farming (though no experience required)
- Organizational skills, strong work ethic, and a sense of humor.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Willingness to work with a faith-based non-profit organization.
- The ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs and participate in regular outdoor work.
Details & Hours:
- Program Delivery Times: Mon/Tues/Wed from 2:30pm to 6:30pm, Required (12 hrs/week minimum)
- Special Events: once a month (4-6 hrs per month; often Saturday morning)
- Other: 4-6 hrs/week on a negotiable basis
- Starting Pay: $15/Hour beginning September 26 through May 3.
- The Education Specialist is supervised by the GrowCity Program Manager.
- Local applicants preferred, as no housing benefit is provided.
Send Cover Letter and Resume to info (at) thefruitfulfield.org
Position closes Monday Sept 19th.
The Fruitful Field Background: TFF has been in existence for seven years, providing community gardening, sub-tropical agriculture, food forest, permaculture, urban farming, and community engagement opportunities (i.e., contact with the homeless, mentally ill, and inner-city youth, as well as ‘green surburbanites’, etc) to South Florida residents. Our Garden-Farm loves to see organically-grown vegetables in the hands of those who need them most via our unique ‘Buy-Give’ Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Shares program: Every share purchased ensures produce is given to needy families, food pantries, and soup kitchens, as well as supports our youth jobs program, GrowCity.